2007 - 2009, Visiting Scholar, Division of Biological Sciences, The University of California, San Diego
2001 - 2003, Post-Doc, School of Life Sciences, Peking University
1996 - 2001, Ph.D, College of Agronomy, Nanjing Agricultural University
1992 - 1996, B.Sc., College of Agronomy, Nanjing Agricultural University
Since 2015, Professor, School of Life Sciences, Peking University
2006 - 2015, Associate Professor, School of Life Sciences, Peking University
2001 - 2006, Lecturer, School of Life Sciences,Peking University
Books and Book Chapter
Li-Jia Qu and Genji Qin (2014). Generation and identification of Arabidopsis EMS mutants. Methods Mol Biol. 1062:225-239.
Li-Jia Qu and Genji Qin (2014). Generation and characterization of Arabidopsis T-DNA insertion mutants. Methods Mol Biol. 1062:241-258.
Plant Leaf Development and Transcriptional Regulation
Our major research focuses on the molecular mechanisms in the development of plant leaves and other organs. We are also interested in the roles of transcriptional regulation in the coordination of plant organ development and environmental cues. We illustrate how cell division, cell differentiation and cell expansion are coordinated to form the final organ morphology and size. Using forward genetics and reverse genetics, we analyze mutants and look for new components essential for organ development. We found that TCP transcription factors and TIE transcriptional repressors are very important for plant organ development and growth. We try to find new proteins interacting with TIEs or TCPs by biochemical tools and want to establish the regulation network of TCPs and TIEs. We try to decipher the roles of TCPs-TIEs-TPL/TPRs complexes and other transcription factors-TIEs-TPL/TPRs complexes during leaf and other organ development.
Representative Peer-Reviewed Publications
1. Wenqi Qin, Ning Wang, Qi Yin, Huiling Li, Ai-Min Wu and Genji Qin* (2022) Activation tagging identifies WRKY14 as a repressor of plant thermomorphogenesis in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 15(11):1725-1743.
2. Qing He, Rongrong Yuan, Tiantian Zhang, Fengying An, Ning Wang, Jingqiu Lan, Xinxue Wang, Zeliang Zhang, Yige Pan, Xuanzhi Wang, Jinzhe Zhang, Dongshu Guo and Genji Qin* (2022) Arabidopsis TIE1 and TIE2 transcriptional repressors dampen cytokinin response during root development. Science Advances 8(36): eabn5057.
3. Xinhui Zheng, Jingqiu Lan, Hao Yu, Jingzhe Zhang, Yi Zhang, Yongmei Qin, Xiao-Dong Su and Genji Qin* (2022) Arabidopsis transcription factor TCP4 represses chlorophyll biosynthesis to prevent petal greening. Plant Communications 4: 100309.
4. Jingqiu Lan, Jinzhe Zhang, Rongrong Yuan, Hao Yu, Linhua Sun, Fengying An, Haodong Chen, Yue Zhou, Weiqiang Qian, Hang He and Genji Qin* (2021) TCP transcription factors suppress cotyledon trichomes by impeding a cell differentiation-regulating complex. Plant Physiology 186: 434-451.
5. Jingqiu Lan and Genji Qin* (2020) The regulation of CIN-like TCP transcription factors. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21: 4498.
6. Xiang Han, Hao Yu, Rongrong Yuan, Yan Yang, Fengying An, Genji Qin* (2019) Arabidopsis transcription factor TCP5 controls plant thermomorphogenesis by positively regulating PIF4 activity. iScience 15: 611-622.
7. Rongrong Yuan, Jingqiu Lan, Yuxing Fang, Hao Yu, Jinzhe Zhang, Jiaying Huang and Genji Qin* (2018) The Arabidopsis USL1 controls multiple aspects of development by affecting late endosome morphology. New Phytologist 219: 1388-1405.
8. Yan Yang#, Michael Nicolas#, Jinzhe Zhang, Hao Yu, Dongshu Guo, Rongrong Yuan, Tiantian Zhang, Jianzhao Yang, Pilar Cubas*, Genji Qin* (2018) The TIE1 transcriptional repressor controls shoot branching by directly repressing BRANCHED1 in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics 14(3): e1007296.
9. Jinzhe Zhang, Baoye Wei, Rongrong Yuan, Jianhui Wang, Mingxin Ding, Zhuoyao Chen, Hao Yu, Genji Qin* (2017). The Arabidopsis RING-type E3 ligase TEAR1 controls leaf development by targeting the TIE1 transcriptional repressor for degradation. Plant Cell 29(2): 243-259.
10. Dongshu Guo, Genji Qin* (2016). EXB1/WRKY71 transcription factor regulates both shoot branching and responses to abiotic stresses. Plant Signaling & Behavior. 11(3): e1150404.
11. Shibai Li, Xiaochen Wang, Shan He, Jieru Li, Qingpei Huang, Takato Imaizumi, Leqing Qu, Genji Qin, Li-Jia Qu, and Hongya Gu* (2016). CFLAP1 and CFLAP2 Are Two bHLH Transcription Factors Participating in Synergistic Regulation of AtCFL1-Mediated Cuticle Development in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics. 12(1): e1005744.
12. Dongshu Guo, Jinzhe Zhang, Xinlei Wang, Xiang Han, Baoye Wei, Jianqiao Wang, Boxun Li, Hao Yu, Qingpei Huang, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu, Genji Qin* (2015). The WRKY transcription factor WRKY71/EXB1 controls shoot branching by transcriptionally regulating RAX genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 27: 3112-3127. (cover story)
13. Qing Liu, Gezhi Shen, Keqin Peng, Zhigang Huang, Jianhua Tong, Mohammed Humayun Kabir, Jianhui Wang, Jingzhe Zhang, Genji Qin* and Langtao Xiao* (2015). The alteration in the architecture of a T-DNA insertion rice mutant osmtd1 is caused by up-regulation of MicroRNA156f. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 57(10):819-829.
14. Baoye Wei, Jinzhe Zhang, Changxu Pang, Hao Yu, Dongshu Guo, Hao Jiang, Mingxin Ding, Zhuoyao Chen, Qing Tao, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu, Genji Qin* (2015). The molecular mechanism of SPOROCYTELESS/NOZZLE in controlling Arabidopsis ovule development. Cell Research 25:121-134.
15. Yan Yang, Bin Ou, Jinzhe Zhang, Hongya Gu, Genji Qin and Li-Jia Qu (2014). The Arabidopsis Mediator subunit MED16 regulates iron homeostasis by associating with EIN3/EIL1 through subunit MED25. Plant Journal 77(6):838-851.
16. Ruixi Li, Jieru Li, Shibai Li, Genji Qin, Ondrej Novak, Ales Pencik, Karin Ljung，Takashi Aoyama, Jingjing Liu, Angus Murphy, Hongya Gu, Tomohiko Tsuge, Li-Jia Qu (2014). ADP1 Affects Plant Architecture by Regulating Local Auxin Biosynthesis. PLOS Genetics 10(1): e1003954.
17. Jin Miao#, Dongshu Guo#, Jinzhe Zhang#, Qingpei Huang#, Genji Qin#, Xin Zhang,Jianmin Wan, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu* (2013). Targeted mutagenesis in rice using CRISPR-Cas system. Cell Research 23(10):1233-1236.
18. Tong Wei, Bin Ou, Jinbin Li, Yang Zhao, Dongshu Guo, Youyong Zhu, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, Chengyun Li*, Genji Qin* and Li-Jia Qu* (2013). Transcriptional profiling of rice early response to Magnaporthe oryzae identified OsWRKYs as important regulators in rice blast resistance. PLoS ONE 8(3): e59720.
19. Qing Tao, Dongshu Guo, Baoye Wei, Fan Zhang, Changxu Pang, Hao Jiang, Jinzhe Zhang, Tong Wei, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu, Genji Qin* (2013). The TIE1 Transcriptional Repressor Links TCP Transcription Factors with TOPLESS/TOPLESS-RELATED Corepressors and Modulates Leaf Development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 25: 421-437
20. Yan Chen, Zhangliang Chen, Juqing Kang, Dingming Kang, Hongya Gu, Genji Qin* (2013). AtMYB14 Regulates Cold Tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter 31: 87-97.
21. Mingqiu Dai, Chen Zhang, Urszula Kania, Fang Chen, Qin Xue, Tyra Mccray, Gang Li, Genji Qin, Michelle Wakeley, William Terzaghi, ,Jianmin Wan, Yunde Zhao, Jian Xu, Jiří Friml, Xing Wang Deng and Haiyang Wang (2012). A novel PP6-type phosphatase holoenzyme directly regulates PIN phosphorylation and auxin efflux in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 24: 2497-2514.
22. Wei-ying Wang, Li Zhang, Shufan Xing, Zhiqiang Ma, Jingjing Liu, Hongya Gu, Genji Qin* and Li-jia Qu* (2012). Arabidopsis AtVPS15 plays essential roles in pollen germination possibly by interacting with AtVPS34. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 39: 81-92.
23. Yang Zhao, Tong Wei, Kang-Quan Yin, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu and Genji Qin*（2012）. Arabidopsis RAP2.2 plays an important role in plant resistance to Botrytis cinerea and ethylene responses. New Phytologist 195: 450-460.
24. Renhong Wu, Shibai Li, Shan He, Friedrich Waßmann, Caihong Yu, Genji Qin, Lukas Schreiber, Li-Jia Qu, and Hongya Gu (2011). CFL1, a WW domain protein, regulates cuticle development by modulating the function of HDG1, a Class IV homeodomain transcription factor, in rice and Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 23(9): 3392-3411.
25. Yu Luo, Genji Qin, Jun Zhang, Yuan Liang,Yingqi Song,Meiping Zhao,Tomohiko Tsuge,Takashi Aoyama,Jingjing Liu,Hongya Gu, and Li-Jia Qu (2011). D-myo-Inositol-3-Phosphate Affects Phosphatidylinositol-Mediated Endomembrane Function in Arabidopsis and Is Essential for Auxin-Regulated Embryogenesis. Plant Cell 23(4): 1352-72.
26. Yanxia Zhang, Renhong Wu, Genji Qin, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu (2011). Over-expression of WOX1 leads to defects in meristem development and polyamine homeostasis in Arabidopsis. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 53: 493-506.
27. Lihua Han, Genji Qin, Dingming Kang, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu （2010）. A nuclear-encoded mitochondrial gene AtCIB22 is essential for plant development in Arabidopsis. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 37: 667-683.
28. Shufan Xing, Jin Miao, Shuang Li, Genji Qin, Si Tang, Haoni Li, Hongya Gu, Li-Jia Qu, (2010) Disruption of the 1-deoxy-D-xylulose-5-phosphate reductoisomerase (DXR) results in albino, dwarf and defects in trichome initiation and stomata closure in Arabidopsis. Cell Research 20:688-700.
29. Yong Guo, Genji Qin, Hongya Gu, and Li-Jia Qu (2009). Dof5.6/HCA2, a Dof transcription factor gene, regulates interfascicular cambium formation and vascular tissue development in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 3518-3534.
30. Jingjing Liu, Yiyue Zhang, Genji Qin, Tomohiko Tsuge, Norihiro Sakaguchi, Guo Luo, Kangtai Sun, Dongqiao Shi, Shiori Aki, Nuoyan Zheng, Takashi Aoyama, Atsuhiro Oka, Weicai Yang, Masaaki Umeda, Qi Xie, Hongya Gua, and Li-Jia Qu, (2008). Targeted Degradation of the Cyclin-Dependent Kinase Inhibitor ICK4/KRP6 by RING-Type E3 Ligases Is Essential for Mitotic Cell Cycle Progression during Arabidopsis Gametogenesis. Plant Cell 20: 1538-1554.
31. Youfa Cheng, Genji Qin, Xinhua Dai, and Yunde Zhao (2008). NPY genes and AGC kinases define two key steps in auxin-mediated organogenesis in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105 (52): 21017-21022.
32. Lin-Chuan Li#, Genji Qin#, Tomohiko Tsuge, Xian-Hui Hou, Mao-Yu Ding, Takashi Aoyama,Atsuhiro Oka, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, Yunde Zhao and Li-Jia Qu (2008). aSPOROCYTELESS modulates YUCCA expression to regulate the development of lateral organs in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 179(3): 751-764. (co-first author).
33. Xin Li, Genji Qin, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu, and Li-Jia Qu (2008). A gain-of-function mutation of transcriptional factor PTL results in curly leaves, dwarfism and male sterility by affecting auxin homeostasis. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 315-327.
34. Youfa Cheng#, Genji Qin#, Xinhua Dai, and Yunde Zhao (2007). NPY1, a BTB-NPH3-like protein, plays a critical role in auxin-regulated organogenesis in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104(47): 18825-18829 (co-first author).
35. Shufan Xing, Genji Qin, Yan Shi, Zhiqiang Ma, Zhangliang Chen, Hongya Gu and Li-Jia Qu (2007). GAMT2 encodes a methyltransferase of gibberellic acid that is involved in seed maturation and germination in arabidopsis. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 49 (3): 368-381.
36. Genji Qin, Hongya Gu, Ligeng Ma, Yiben Peng, Xing Wang Deng, Zhangliang Chen, Li-Jia Qu (2007). Disruption of phytoene desaturase gene results in albino and dwarf phenotypes in Arabidopsis by impairing chlorophyll, carotenoid, and gibberellin biosynthesis. Cell Research 17:471-482.
37. Genji Qin, Zhiqiang Ma, Li Zhang, Shufan Xing, Xianhui Hou, Jie Deng, Jingjing Liu, Zhangliang Chen, Li-Jia Qu, Hongya Gu (2007). Arabidopsis AtBECLIN 1/AtAtg6/AtVps30 is essential for pollen germination and plant development. Cell Research 17: 249-263.
38. Genji Qin, Hongya Gu, Yunde Zhao, Zhiqiang Ma, Guanglu Shi, Yue Yang, Eran Pichersky, Haodong Chen, Meihua Liu, Zhangliang Chen, and Li-Jia Qu. (2005). An indole-3-acetic acid carboxyl methyltransferase regulate Arabidopsis leaf development. Plant Cell, 17:2693-2704.
39. Gaofeng Jia, Peidu Chen, Genji Qin, Guihua Bai, Xiue Wang, Suling Wang, Bo Zhou, Shouzhong Zhang, Dajun Liu (2005). QTLs for Fusarium head blight response in a wheat DH population of Wangshuibai/Alondra‘s’. Euphytica, 146: 183-191.
40. Genji Qin, Dingming Kang, Yiyu Dong, Yunping Shen, Li Zhang, Xiaohui Deng, Yao Zhang, Song Li, Nan Chen, Weiran Niu, Cong Chen, Peicheng Liu, Haodong Chen, Jigang Li, Yanfei Ren, Hongya Gu, Xingwang Deng, Li-Jia Qu and Zhangliang Chen (2003). Obtaining and analysis of flanking sequences from T-DNA transformants in Arabidopsis. Plant Science, 165: 941-949.